In the First Year Of Hijra, the mosque of the Prophet (P.b.u.h) was built. Azan was used for the first time to call Muslims for prayer and Charter of Madina was constituted. Brother Hood was declared amongst Ansars and Muhajirs,
Mosque Of The Prophet:
The materials used for the construction included unbaked bricks which were used to make the walls. The roof was made up of mud and date palm leaves. Trunk of date palms were used as pillars. A large platform with a thatched roof was built in one of the corners. It was known as Suffah. Prophet himself took part in the building of the Mosque and was assisted by many of his companions. It also served as a residential place for the prophet and his family.Moreover, it also became the political and military head quarter of the state and served as an institute of learning. Also, it was home for poor people (Ashab-e-Suffa)
The Makkans had left their families and belongings and now they needed financial support. Therefore, each emigrant / Muhajir was paired with an Ansar- the people of Madinah and they were declared as brothers.
The Ansars shared all their wealth and property with the emigrants and they were even allowed to inherit from them. In some cases they even shared wives.
The Ansar offered endless support to the emigrants, on the other hand, Muhajirs didn’t become a burden on the Ansar and soon starts living independently.
“And remember with gratitude Allah’s favor on you; for you were enemies and He joined your hearts in love, so that by His grace, you become brothers”
“Those who believed and adapted exile and fought for the faith, with the property and their persons, in the cause of Allah, as well as those who gave them asylum and aid , these are (all) friends and protectors , one of another”
Azan (Call For Prayer):
In order to call believers to Mosque for offering their prayers in congregation, the system of calling Azan was introduced as suggested by Hazrat Umar.
Hazrat Bilal was appointed as the Muezzin.
Charter Of Madina:
In his attempt to achieve good relations with all the inhabitants of Madina. Prophet (P.b.u.h) drew a charter with the people of the town, whether Muslims or non- Muslims (including Jews) which clearly defined the duties and privileges of all the people.
- All people of Madina would defend the city collectively
- There would be complete religious freedom for all.
- If a conflict arises within the Medinites, the Prophet (P.b.u.h) will be consulted for decision.
Effects of Charter of Medina:
- Brought our complete transformation of the politics, religious and civic life of Medina.
- Established political unity and transformed a city of worrying tribes into a peaceful state.
- Gave equality to common man and thus protected the life and property of every man in Madina.
- It also bounded Muslims together into a single community, who would live and die together.