Physical Quantities And Units
The International System of Units is one of the most widely used system for taking and recording measurements.
Get O/A Levels & IGCSE Solved Topical Past Papers, Notes & Books
🚚 Delivering all over PAKISTAN 🇵🇰 & ✈️ Internationally 🌐
Contact Our Expert Team for Free Guidance & Suggestions
Sometimes a physical quantity is too big or too small to be conveniently expressed in basic units. Then prefixes are used.
These are multiples or decimals of ten.
Scaler quantities are those quantities which have a magnitude only.
Examples: mass , volume , distance , speed
Vector quantities are those quantities which have magnitude as well as direction.
Examples: displacement, velocity , current , weight , force , acceleration
Measurement of length:
The following figure shows a vernier caliper, which consists of a main scale and a vernier scale.
How to read a vernier Caliper:
- Check zero error
- Place the object between the two jaws whose diameter is to be measured
- Place the object between the two jaws whose diameter is to be measured and close it until it is tight (not very tight,not very less).
- Read the main scale before the zero marking for the 1st place of decimal.( )
- For the 2nd place of decimal, look at the vernier scale. Find a marking on the vernier scale that is in line with the main scale.
- The diameter is fund now by adding the main scale reading and the vernier scale reading
Inside jaws of vernier caliper….. Calculate internal diameter
Outside jaws of vernier caliper … Calculate external diameter
Zero Error In Vernier Caliper:
The error in the instrument which occurs when the zero of the main scale and vernier
Scale do not coicide when the jaws of the caliper coincide
Micrometer Screw Gauge:
How to read a Micro Meter Screw Gauge:
- Turn the thimble until the anvil and the spindle gently grip the object .
- Then turn theRatchet untill it starts to click.
- Read the main scale releasing o the edge of the thimble/
- Now look at the circular scale on the thimble. find a marking on the circular scale that is in line with the horizontal line of the main scale.
- Diameter is found by simply adding up the two decimal numbers.
Measurement of Time Using a Pendulum:
A simple pendulum consists of a bob and a string
The time taken for 1 compete oscillation of the bob is called the PERIOD (T) of the pendulum.
The number of complete oscillations made by the pendulum per second is called the frequency.
Period depends on:
- The length of the pendulum (increase with length).
- Acceleration due to gravity (decreases with increasing gravity).
Good because it’s summarised!
Good Notes for o level Exam
Thanks Murtaza, hope our notes have helped you in preparing for your O Level Exams!
Thanks a lot, got a distinction in physics 🙂
Thanks! These notes contain complete information about Physical Quantities.
Cool improved my grade
We are delighted to know that!!
These notes are really helpful for me.
it is very helpful for me to study during my mocks exam easy to understand and very precise.happy to see a good well knowing and helping website
Thank you Owais for your appreciation.
Okay i hope so this helps me out. <3 after reading this I don’t think physics is that hard. Tysm Admin.
We hope that our revision notes, will definitely help you Nizam.
really helpful. i used to be an A* student in physics but now in 11 i’ve depleted terribly.
thanks you cuz i am back to A’s and B’s again.
You are most welcome. If you want revision notes, solved past papers for physics please visit https://www.teachifyme.com/shop
These are so helpful, easy to understand because they’re summarized. Now I j hope my test goes well
thank you so much, if you want complete and more detailed revision nptes for o level physics or other subjects please whatsapp us at 03319977798. or visit teachifyme.com/shop.
do share our website with your friends also.